Talk: ‘Imaginations, Interiors, Surfaces’, 2pm Sunday 14th May, Stroud Valleys Artspace, 4 John Street, Stroud.
‘Imaginations, Interiors, Surfaces’ is the title of the new publication by Dr Elizabeth Hodson from the ‘Knowing From the Inside’ project. Knowing from the Inside: Anthropology, Art, Architecture and Design (or for short, KFI) is a 5-year project held by anthropologist Professor Tim Ingold (The Life of Lines, Imagining Landscapes: Past, Present and Future).
Dr Hodson’s work in KFI focuses on contemporary art practice, principally in two locations: Iceland and Scotland. Her research addresses drawing through an ethnographic focus on the working practice of artists. I am excited to announce that she will be talking about her work in Stroud as part of the ‘Sculpture talks weekend @sva’ programme of talks and events, which is part of the 2017 Open Studios. She will talk informally about her involvement with the KFI project, her own work and also her new publication ‘Imaginations, Interiors, Surfaces’ (which features the work of a diverse group of artists including my own).
I am delighted to be part of this her project in a very small way and also delighted that she is coming so far to talk about her work. This is a very exciting event relevant to anyone with a interest in art, anthropology, different cultures, places and people.
‘Imaginations, Interiors, Surfaces’, 2pm, Sunday 14th May, Stroud Valleys Artspace, 4 John Street, Stroud. This is a free talk with discussion after. The SVA café will be open for tea and delicious cakes. Hope to see you there!
For further information: An selection of Elizabeth Hodson’s research, conferences and presentations:
- Paper ‘Anatomy Collections and the Ethics of the Past’ with Ian Harper, ASA16 Footprints and Futures: The Time of Anthropology, University of Durham (2016).
- Paper ‘The Aesthetic Imagination: Speculative Forms’ ASA16 Footprints and Futures: The Time of Anthropology, University of Durham (2016).
- Paper ‘Visibility in the Gallery: Anthropology as Curating Co-Authorship’ given at Coventry University’s symposium Drawing Conversations: reflecting upon collective and collaborative drawing experiences (2015).
- Paper ‘The Life Model and the Cadaver’ given at UCL’s Body Plasticity: Intrusions and Extrusions symposium (2015).
- Co-convenor of ‘Art and Medicine Anthropology’ panel with Ian Harper, ASA15 Symbiotic Anthropologies: Theoretical Commensalities conference, University of Exeter (2015).
- Paper ‘Greys Anatomy: Diagramming the Body’ with Ian Harper, ASA15 Symbiotic Anthropologies: Theoretical Commensalities conference, University of Exeter (2015).
For more information about Elizabeth Hodson’s involvement in the Knowing from the Inside Project see http://www.abdn.ac.uk/research/kfi/